Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mirror Mirror: Body Image in the Third Trimester

My belly has filled out enough that, besides looking like I'm in my eleventh month of pregnancy, I'm kind of balanced out. What I mean is that whatever bulk I've gained my stomach is bulkier so I don't look really fat any more. Just really pregnant. At least, that's the way I see it. And I look overall broader than I used to be. But most people besides me wouldn't notice that.
Baby bump? Hah! More like a baby mountain. I think that I must be using up double the calories to complete the same task as any normal person would be. Climbing the stairs,rolling over in bed, typing...
In my home bathroom I only have a small medicine cabinet mirror. In fact, the biggest mirror in my house is only a 1/2 length one which, if you stand as far back from it as is physically possible within the dimensions of my hallway, gives you a 3/4 view of yourself. And I don't often stand around naked in my hallway. So when I was staying at someone else's house the other day and I caught a glimpse of myself pre-shower, my shape came as somewhat of a surprise. I don't feel like I have a graceful arch in my midsection. I feel more like a snake that's swallowed an ostrich egg. An awkward sort of bulge where it should be smooth. Ah well. With clothes on I don't feel as bad, and that's usually how I spend my days.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment