Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Baby Wrap - A funny story

I have a pretty good baby carrier (Bjorn)from my first pregnancy but I've been wanting a second one-- the wrap kind. I actually had one of them for a long time on loan from a friend who just had another baby so I had to give it back. I hardly ever used it since I always felt like the baby would kind of start to sag down after a while. But I think those things take a little more practice than the structured carriers. Anyway, I want to get one of my own now, or maybe a sling one, because they say it's good to 36 months and DS is not quite two-thirds of that. I don't know how he'd feel about being put in a carrier at this point, but it's good to have the option. I may also buy a frame backpack carrier for him eventually but that's a plan on hold until after we move. I also want a second wrap just because if you're using any wrap for an extended period of time, it will tend to get heavy and uncomfortable. So it's good to have an alternative one.
So anyway, I've been meaning to try DS out in one of either these hip carriers or slings or both. I was never really convinced about the hip carrier but today I realized that I carry him on my hip all the time. So it's actually a pretty natural position for me and the sling would just replace the need for my arm around him. Or so I would guess. I would have to try it on to be sure, right?
I was at the mall today and I asked at the baby store if they had any open slings that I could test out. I waited around until someone was free to help me, and when she finally pulled out the sample wrap, I asked her a few questions about whether DS could still fit in it and if he could sit on my back (no, in this case). So I said, 'Ok, let me try it on and see how he sits on my front.' The sales girl gave me sort of a weird look, at which point I looked down to discover that I don't have much front available for him to sit on. I had totally forgotten my extended belly. DH and I laughed really hard over this when I told him about it later. I thought it was hilarious.
They didn't have any open packages of hip sling for me to try, so I didn't get to see if that works for me. Score one for the hip sling, though, since it seems to be one kind of carrier I can use in late stages of pregnancy.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. I loved my ring sling & I also love my mei tei and find it more comfy for a toddler. The ring sling gives you more give when carrying during pg than the hotsling thingies. I could nurse easily in my sling too! def bonus!

    Now that I've done 2 kids with 3 different carriers (also a wrap, but I found it saggy too) I'd have a ring sling for a newborn and my mei tei for 6mos+.

    ReplyDelete