Sunday, March 29, 2009

ULTRA ultrasound

So we went to do a systems scan the other day-- on the fetus, not on our car. That's what they call it here. They have this fancy new technology called 4D ultrasound which shows you basically a photograph of what's going on inside. You can take 'portraits' of the baby. I think it's less practical for medical purposes and more useful just for kicks. Maybe if there is something on the surface of the baby that he is trying to determine, it would be very practical. But mostly they're checking to make sure that all the organs are in place and the right size. Stuff like that.

I was a little disappointed to find out the sex of the baby. I remember that in my last pregnancy, I wasn't sure that I would love the kid-- and I certainly didn't until he was born. I feel the same with this one but with the added anxiety (is there a less potent word to use here than anxiety) of how the birth will affect my DS. He is my favorite child. Of course, he's also until now my only child but what difference does that make? Why does sibling rivalry only belong to siblings? Hopefully he won't be a jealous brother. My brother was quite jealous when I was born but he was a little older. Also, DS doesn't seem to mind when I hold and play with other kids, though he does sometimes demand equal attention.

The little fetus inside me is, however, quite cute(pupupu)if I do say so myself. These pictures aren't entirely telling, since there is a lot of movement and the pressure of amniotic fluid (not to mention layers of skin an fat) floating around between the 'lens' and the subject, but DS, once he un-squished from the birthing process, looked quite like he did in the 4D-- and since he was born a bit early and I had oligohydremanaise (don't ask me how to spell that), he was skinny and bony when born, as opposed to nice and round during the systems scan when I still had enough amniotic fluid to sustain him. But when he filled out again, he started to resemble his ultrasound pic. So there is some truth to the technology.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment